Recently, President Obama announced that the governments of the U.S.A., Russia, China, Great Britain, France, and Germany have made an agreement with Iran regarding Iran’s development of nuclear bombs. According to President Obama, this agreement will not allow Iran to acquire nuclear bombs, it will bring Iran into the world community of decent countries, and it will help the Iranian people. According to Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu, this agreement will hasten (make quicker) Iran’s development of nuclear bombs, allow Iran to build its conventional weapons, strengthen the Iranian government that wants to annihilate Israel and kill Americans, and make the Middle East and the world a much more dangerous place.
A History of Iran and Israel, from Ancient Times to Present
It is too challenging to present the history of Iran and Israel, from ancient times to present, in one article. To let the past inform the present, please see these Classical Historian articles: Iran and Obama, and Israeli-Palestinian Conflict I, II, and III. Since its inception, modern Iran has been the world’s greatest state sponsor of terror, is actively planning and carrying out the killing of Americans in Iraq and Afghanistan, and has called for the destruction of Israel and America. Because of Iran’s activities, various countries have joined together to stop Iran by freezing Iranian assets, not selling weapons to Iran, and by doing everything possible to keep Iran from having a nuclear bomb. President Obama does not like this approach, and wants to be friendly with Iran, hoping that Iran will change its behavior.
The Agreement between the Six Countries and Iran
In the deal, there are a number of understandings between the six countries and Iran.
1. The six governments will lift all economic sanctions against Iran.
2. Iran promises to not build a nuclear bomb. If it is believed that it is breaking this promise, there is a 24 day waiting period before all seven governments of the deal can investigate and decide if inspections can be made in Iran. Iran retains the power to deny those inspections. After ten years, no inspections are allowed.
3. The deal is supposed to give the world at least one year’s notice that Iran is seeking a bomb. After ten years, no notice is needed.
4. $100 Billion of Iranian assets that have been frozen by governments around the world will be released to the Iranian government.
5. After five years, Iran will be allowed to purchase as many conventional weapons as it wants to. However, Russia has announced an arms sale to Iran that takes effect immediately. This means, that countries can now sell conventional weapons to Iran.
Arguments Against the Treaty
1. Iran can continue to fund terrorist organizations, and it can use the $100 billion to do so.
2. Iran can now buy conventional weapons that will be given to terrorist groups.
3. Iran did not have to agree to stop trying to kill Americans in Iraq and Afghanistan. It has killed over 1500 Americans in these two countries.
4. Iran is holding four Americans hostage.
5. Dictator Assad of Syria, who President Obama threatened because Assad used chemical weapons, receives Iranian support. Assad loves the deal.
6. Iran calls America the “Great Satan” and believes the U.S.A. is the source of earthly evil.
What is a Treaty and What is Not a Treaty?
In the U.S. Constitution, the President is given the power to negotiate all treaties. A treaty is an agreement between two countries. For a treaty to have the force of law in the United States of America, 60 senators must approve the treaty. Many say that this deal between the six countries and Iran is a treaty, because of its great change from past American-Iranian relations. However, the Obama administration calls this deal a “non-binding agreement” with a “capacity for enforcement.” Because the President says it’s not a treaty, the U.S. Congress passed a resolution giving it 60 days to review the deal. If Congress rejects the deal, the President can veto their rejection. If this happens, Congress can override his veto, but Congress needs a 2/3 majority of both houses to do so. It is challenging to have 2/3 of Congress agree to something.
1. What does President Obama say the nuclear deal with Iran will do?
2. What does Prime Minister Netanyahu say the nuclear deal with Iran will do?
3. What does the U.S. get from this deal?
4. What does Iran get from this deal?
5. What is your opinion of the arrangement?
For a video teaching about the Iran Nuclear Deal, go HERE.