The purpose of The Dolphin Society Book Club is to learn about history in a caring community of adults who teach kids. Sometimes, the initial step in learning more history through reading is challenging. Isn't it easier just to watch a baseball game or watch your favorite series? Joining the History Book Club holds everyone accountable to continue studying and thinking about history, and, once a person starts to read to learn history, usually he or she wants to read and learn more. Sharing what one learns with others helps the educational process. Book club members learn from others' experiences and also share teaching tips and strategies how to teach history and government in the best way. Many Americans are afraid of their children leaving home for college and accepting the radical liberal viewpoints that are represented on most university campuses. Being in a book club provides the parent or teacher with more tools how to teach their children the truth in history.
At the beginning of each talk, John De Gree will present a slideshow explaining the key historical events, people, and ideas of the month’s readings. Then, he will show teachers the tools that will enable them to prepare well for talks and Socratic discussions with their students. Finally, John will lead Dolphin Society members in Socratic discussions on the history they have read. Didn’t have time to read everything for that month? That’s fine. Come along for the lesson and discussion, anyways!
In 2021/2022, The Dolphin Society Book Club will read Western Civilization, by Marvin Perry, ISBN 13: 978-1305091467 . This book is used by our World History online students. It is an excellent book that teaches clearly everything that is Western Civilization, including contributions from various cultures and time periods, key moments, important people and events. In many places of this text, the reader will have "AHA" moments, finally realizing the meaning of history and making it easier to understand what is happening today.
Below is the schedule of meetings: We meet on THURSDAYS at 4:30 pm Pacific Time 1. Part One: The Ancient World: Foundation of the West to A.D. 500, Chapters 1 - 3 September 16th
2. Part One: The Ancient World: Foundation of the West to A.D. 500, Chapters 4-5 October 14th
3. Part Two: The The Middle Ages: The Christian Centuries 500-1400, Chapters 6-7 November 18th
4. Part Three: The Rise of Modernity: From the Renaissance to the Enlightenment 1350-1789, Chapters 8-10 December 9th
5. Part Four: The Modern West: Progress and Breakdown 1789-1914, Chapters 11-14 January 13th
6. Part Four: The Modern West: Progress and Breakdown 1789-1914, Chapters 15-17 February 17th
7. Part Five: Western Civilization in Crisis: World Wars and Totalitarianism 1914-1945, Chapters 18-20 March 17th
8. Part Six: The Contemporary World: Chapters 21-22April 7th
All members of the Dolphin Society may join The History Book Club.