Chapter 4. Western Civilization
1. What does "Western Civilization" mean?
2. What is another way of saying Western Civilization?
3. List four beliefs and practices of Western Civilization.
4. In Western Civilization, is there a belief in right and wrong? Do people believe in morality?
5. What does the rule of law mean?
6. What does limited government mean?
7. What happens when a government becomes too big?
8. Name some rights of people who live in Western civilization that are not found in other countries.
9. According to the author, is life in Western Civilization better than elsewhere?
10. On what ideas was the United States of America founded?
Chapter 3, Part 2: Christianity
1. Who was Jesus Christ and where was he from?
2. What were his followers called?
3. What were Jesus' followers called to do?
4. What is the holy book of Christians and when was it written?
5. What idea in Thomas Jefferson's Declaration of Independence came from Christianity?
6. After the Roman Empire adopted Christianity as the official religion, who was head of the Christian Church in the Roman Empire?
7. In the Roman Empire, what were the titles of the leader of the Empire and the leader of the Church?
8. In Christianity, do individuals have rights over the government, or is government stronger than the individual?
John De Gree
Mr. De Gree is teacher of intermediate students at MacArthur Fundamental Intermediate, and is Founder of The Classical Historian