I have a very independent 8th grader. My only worry about your course is that it seems teacher intensive. Is this true?
The only work that involves the teacher is to watch and learn from DVD 1 and 2. DVD 1 is 20 minutes, and DVD 2, the tools of the historian, is about 1 1/2 hours. Once you understand the method, then the student completes all other work on his own throughout the year. He will meet with you to report research and to express his perspective and back it up with evidence. If he is learning the Ancient or Medieval Civilizations curriculum, then he can watch the discussions on our DVD program. The American program will have the DVD discussion by summer 2013.
How hard would it be to take your American Government and Economics course and design it to cover only Government and Economics, leaving the history out?
Our course should not be changed to omit history from it, and we designed it this way on purpose. The student learns the benefits of a Constitutional Republic and capitalism through the evidence that history has provided us. Also, the text written by Larry Schweikart is so good and unique, that your student may never get the opportunity to read this perspective again. If you have a full year to devote to this topic, then I strongly recommend that your student does not learn Government and Economics separated from the historical experience of the U.S.
We are planning on teaching our son so that he can pass the AP history exam in Modern American History. Is your curriculum rigorous enough?
Our high school history courses are very rigorous and are appropriate for students wishing to take the AP tests. You would have to ensure that your student is practicing timed writing.
As a busy home school mom, I would ideally like to fin a teacher who could use this curriculum. How hard would it be for me to learn how to teach it?
Becoming fluent with the curriculum happens when you use the curriculum along with your child. It does not require much or any outside time.
1. In our Mission and Method statement, we write, "The Classical Historian is inspired by the best that is offered in the Great Tradition of Western Education: honesty, virtue, patience, and logical analysis of evidence and conclusions."
This is our world perspective as historians. All people should strive to live for these values.
2. There is no such thing as “Christian History, or Jewish History, or for that matter, Atheist History” unless it is a study of a particular religion or pagan movement during a particular time period. There are, however, perspectives that an author brings to his writing. History is something that occurred regardless of one's faith.
3. We (the De Gree family) are Christians dedicated to living our faith through works, and when needed, words. As a historian, our beliefs are reflected in how we study the past and in how we treat our students and others. We hold the tradition of the Western Experience (Judeo-Christianity, Greco-Roman) to be superior to any other, because it encourages the freest and best expression of the individual human spirit, mind, and will. However, we think that believers and non believers both deserve access to the best, most open, education.
Thank you very much for your question!
I am filled with gratitude on this day, when America's soldiers led the greatest invasion ever in the history of mankind. And like so many of our battles and wars, we led an invasion to liberate, not conquer. We freed Europe from the tyranny of Adolf Hitler and the fascists. Immediately after the war, we defended Western Europe from the totalitarian governments of the Communist countries.
We are all humbled by those who gave their lives so others can be free, and we remember that freedom is not free. May we always be vigilant so our government and people are free.
Teaching with the Take a Stand! series helps me get to know my children and students better and it helps them how to think critically, form historical judgement, and express themselves in speech and in writing.
- All Products
- Charter Schools/Co-ops
- Online Classes
- Our Teachers
- Course Schedule 2018/2019
- Ancient Rome Elementary Online Class
- Ancient Online Course Recordings
- Medieval Civilizations Online Course Recordings
- The Story of Liberty American Online Course
- World History, High School Online Course Recordings
- American History High School Online Course Recordings
- American Government and Economics Online Course Recordings
- Game Retailers